Friday, July 28, 2006

Licence to Harrass

Some time ago I decided not to renew the TV licence. I wrote to the licencing people explaining that we weren't going to use the telly anymore for broadcast pictures, but we would continue using it for playing legal, pre-recorded videos.

They were very nice about it generally. I think I wrote about it in my blog.

My friend has just moved into a new house and she simply doesn't have a telly. The TV licence people are on to her with an altogether more aggressive tone with veiled legal threats and a general bolshy attitude.

They obviously consider there are two types of people: those that have a TV licence and law breakers. She will take no action and await "the next action in this investigation".

In truth, I don't think there is anything they can do these days, even if she had a telly (she doesn't). I've heard that detector vans don't work on these new flat screen TVs.

1 Comments:

At 12:11 pm, Anonymous G said...

Told you so.

I'm amazed they've let you get off - so far.

When I moved house, I accidentally gave them the wrong post code. It took over two years to get them to believe that I was the person who had been buying tv licences here.

They should make the tv licensing people responsible for immigration.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home